We are grateful to all of the teachers and administrators in schools that provide their students the opportunity to enjoy and be challenged by the Canadian Computing Competition (CCC).
The following is a list of the steps involved in preparing for and proctoring the CCC. More detailed instructions on how to perform some of these steps using the CCC Online Grader are available.
Arranging for students to write the contest
- If your school is new to CEMC contests, register your school to add it to our database and generate a school password and number for you that we will send by email.
- Determine how many students will be competing and register for the CCC by the deadline.
- Try to arrange for all students in your school to participate at the same time. The CCC may never be written prior to the official contest date. We will do our best to arrange alternate dates for serious school-wide conflicts. Please contact us if you wish to arrange this.
- If there are students with special needs writing at your school, please contact us.
Before the contest
- Give your school number (not password) to participating students that have not previously registered so that they can create a CCC Online Grader account online. If necessary, you may reset the password for any previously registered student.
- Login and authenticate all the students in your school that will be participating. "Graduate" all students that have left your school. You may also choose to "Hide" any of these students if you never want to see their records again.
- Familiarize yourself with the CCC Online Grader. In particular, ensure you are familiar with the format, programming language details and rules.
- Encourage students to practice using the CCC Online Grader. We strongly recommend that every participant attempt the Practice Contest.
- Late (and even last minute) registrants can be accommodated at anytime before the start of the contest by ensuring the student has an authenticated CCC Online Grader account as described above. The CEMC will invoice the school at a later date for extra contests that are written beyond those initially registered. Please note that extra fees may apply.
Starting the contest
- Note that an individualized 3-hour timer will begin for each student as soon as they enter biographical information after logging in to the CCC Online Grader.
- Point students to the Announcements / Helpful Reminders that can be viewed after logging in and entering the contest.
During the contest
- Put forth a “best effort” to maintain the integrity of the contest by enforcing the CCC rules. For example, try to prevent communication between participants and forbidden use of the Internet. Note, however, that the onus is really on students to do their own work.
- You may view students’ real-time performance by viewing the scoreboard listing participating students at your school.
After the contest
- Upon receiving notification that the scores have been finalized, view the contest scoreboard. Check that the number of students and their names match your record of who participated in the contest.
- Upon receiving information about the cutoffs, you may generate Certificates of Distinction.