The Gauss contests introduce students in Grades 7 and 8 to a broader perspective of mathematics in a fun, accessible way. Intriguing problems and a multiple-choice format make the Gauss contests a wonderful opportunity for all participants to grow their interest in and get curious about the power of math.
- Students in Grades 7 and 8
- Interested students from lower grades
Written in May. Visit Our Contests for dates and deadlines for the current year.
- 25 multiple-choice questions
- 60 minutes
- Score out of 150
- Written at school, participants write individually on paper or online
- Some calculators permitted
Questions are based on curriculum common to all Canadian provinces. The last few questions are designed to test ingenuity and insight. Rather than testing content, most of the contest problems test logical thinking and mathematical problem-solving.
- The Gauss contests can be written on paper or online. Teachers can select the mode of writing that best suits their needs when submitting a contest order.
- Contest Supervisors should arrange to have participants write the contest at school, regardless of the mode of writing, and are responsible for ensuring that participants are supervised appropriately.
- Visit Contest Supervision to learn more about what’s involved in supervising a CEMC contest.
Writing the contest on paper
- Participants will complete the contest using the materials that are sent to the school.
- All paper contests are marked in the school. Contest Supervisors are provided with a marking template that is included in the contest package.
Writing the contest online
- The Contest Supervisor will provide each participant with a link and an ID code to access our online contest platform where they will enter their responses.
- To give participants an opportunity to familiarize themselves with our new online contest platform, a practice contest that features questions from last year's Gauss contests will be made available closer to the contest date.
- Results will be sent to the Contest Supervisor by email in the weeks after the contest is written.
Results and Recognition
- You can access the most recent Gauss results booklet.
- Contest Supervisors have the option of generating and printing Participation, Distinction, and School Champion Certificates in our Contest Supervisor Portal.
- We recognize top-performing participants and schools — learn more about recognition.
To learn more about our contests, follow the links below to get started:
Get in Touch
Questions? We invite you to contact us.