The Gauss Contests introduce students in Grades 7 and 8 to a broader perspective of mathematics in a fun, accessible way. Intriguing problems and a multiple-choice format make the Gauss Contests a wonderful opportunity for all students in these grades to grow their interest in and get curious about the power of math.
- All students in Grades 7 and 8
- Interested students from lower grades
Written in May. Visit Our Contests for dates and deadlines for the current year.
Questions are based on curriculum common to all Canadian provinces. The last few questions are designed to test ingenuity and insight. Rather than testing content, most of the contest problems test logical thinking and mathematical problem-solving.
- The Gauss Contests can be written on paper or online. Teachers can select the mode of writing that best suits their needs when submitting a contest order.
- Contest Supervisors can arrange for students to write the contests in the classroom or remotely and are responsible for ensuring that students are supervised appropriately.
- Visit Contest Supervision to learn more about what’s involved in supervising a CEMC contest.
Writing the contest on paper
- Students will complete the contest using the materials that are sent to the school.
- All paper contests are marked in the school. Contest Supervisors are provided with a marking template that is included in the contest package.
Writing the contest online
- The Contest Supervisor will provide each participant with a link and an ID code to access our online contest platform where they will enter their responses.
- To give students an opportunity to familiarize themselves with our new online contest platform, a practice contest that features questions from last year's Gauss Contests will be made available closer to the contest date.
- Results will be sent to the Contest Supervisor by email in the weeks after the contest is written.
Results and Recognition
- You can access the most recent Gauss results booklet.
- Contest Supervisors have the option of generating and printing Participation, Distinction, and School Champion Certificates in our Contest Supervisor Portal.
- We recognize top-performing students and schools — learn more about recognition.
To learn more about our contests, follow the links below to get started:
Get in Touch
Questions? We invite you to contact us.